Xdvik is a program for displaying DVI files (generated e.g. by Troff or TeX)
on the X window system. It is based on the regular (non-k)
xdvi of the same
We try to track the changes in xdvi (possibly with some delay), so
that any version of xdvik has at least all the features of the `regular' xdvi
with the same version number. For updates between xdvi releases,
an additional `patchlevel' number is used, e.g. 22.74.3 for
patchlevel 3 of release 22.74.
As of xdvik-22.84, features common to both versions include:
- Fast and lean interface with support for full keyboard navigation.
- Rendering of Postscript images via ghostscript.
- Inverse search - a click in the xdvi window
opens an editor with the corresponding TeX source (and vice versa).
- Support for color specials.
- Print/save a Postscript version of the DVI file.
As of 22.84, xdvik has the following additional features:
- Hyperlinks in DVI files via the hyperref package.
- String search in DVI files.
- A `watchfile' option to automatically reload the DVI file.
- Uses a backup copy of the DVI file when the file is corrupted
so that you can still view the old version of the document while (La)TeX is running.
- Postscript font rendering via
- GUI enhancements: A pagelist for easier navigation, a statusline,
and a toolbar and preferences windows in the Motif version.
- Save DVI files in different formats: PS, PDF, DVI and plain
- Select text in DVI files.
- Kpathsearch library to locate (and generate) files (hence the `k' in the name).
- Support for Omega.
Here are some screenshots of the Xaw version and
the Motif version.
Xdvi is a tool for previewing DVI files, so its main application
is viewing the typeset results while editing or proofreading a
It is not targeted at doing presentations or multimedia - there
are other formats (e.g. PDF) and tools that are much better
suited for that.
But even with this limited application range,
there's still a lot of room for improvement. Please
send suggestions about features that could enhance
xdvi's functionality and usability to this
sourceforge tracker. (Help with implementing suggestions
is of course also welcome - see the section Join the development! below.)
Downloading and installing xdvik
- The most current version of xdvik can be obtained either from
or from a
You can also
browse the xdvik source tree
or check out a snapshot of the (possibly unstable)
CVS version. (To obtain a stable version from CVS, look for branches
with the `_STABLE' suffix: a branch like
contains the most current stable version of xdvi release
x.y). More information on obtaining xdvi via CVS
can be found here.
The installation process is described in the `INSTALL' file
in the source distribution; here
is a link to the most recent version of that file.
Submitting bug reports
The best way for sending bug reports is to submit them to the sourceforge
bug reporting page so that all developers as well as other users
can view the reports and post followups. Please include as much
useful information as possible, such as:
If xdvi has crashed, please include a backtrace if the problem is reproducible.
Here's how to do it:
- the output of xdvi -version
- the version of your operating system and X server
(output of `uname -a' and `X -version').
- the output of xwininfo and xdpyinfo if it's an X related problem.
- the output of `xdvi -debug FEATURE' (see the description of the -debug
option in the xdvi man page for the possible values of FEATURE).
- a sample .dvi file if the error occurs only with specific .dvi files,
a sample .eps file if the error occurs with an image etc.
$ gdb xdvi-xaw.bin
Or: gdb xdvi-motif.bin if you're using the Motif version of xdvik
(gdb output snipped)
(gdb) run testfile.dvi
(Now xdvi is running; do whatever you did that caused the crash)
(Here, gdb should display a stack trace)
Please copy the entire stack trace into your bug report, and a description
of what exactly you did that caused the crash.
Join the development!
Suggestions on how to improve xdvik or direct contributions are always
Changes in recent versions (starting from 22.7x) are listed here.
A full change histrory is contained in the
CHANGES file in the xdvik distribution.
A change history of the original xdvi version is available on the